Saturday, September 6, 2008

A Joyful Reunion

On September 2ND, at 2:30 in the morning, I finally cleared Indian immigration in Chennai and collected my 135.5 pounds of luggage.  No visitors are allowed in the airport, so a large throng waited outside of the international terminal.  As I exited the building, standing atop the gates were Ashwin and Priya with the colorful welcome signs they had made, and Prabhu, our family photojournalist right behind.  Needless to say it was incredibly wonderful to be back together, with giant hugs all around.  The next morning, Ashwin and Priya eagerly combed through my luggage - Priya was thrilled with the birthday gifts and Ashwin was elated that the Wii had survived the trip unscathed!  Thanks so much to everyone who sent packages from the US - they are being thoroughly enjoyed. 
I have spent the last few days adjusting to the time, heat, etc.  I am so impressed with how thoroughly Ashwin and Priya have adjusted to life here - they are very comfortable at their school, both are learning Tamil, and both have made new friends.  I am also amazed at the fact that in the time that they've been here they have never complained about the heat.  I have been struck at how hot and humid it is - with very little cooling at night.  Prabhu told me that he had hoped that by September, it would have cooled off more, but a friend explained to us last night that "September is our second summer in Chennai".  You would have thought that one would be enough....  Ah well, so happy to be here in spite of the temp.  
More soon.   Leann

6 comments:

MJIF said...

It is so good to see you all together again (I'm including the famed photojournalist in that image)!

Mary Jo, Rick, and Michael

Patricia Synan said...

Hi everyone! I must say I did get choked up when I saw you all toghether!!!!! You all waited a long time for this day & I'm sure your estatic that it finally arrived. We're not surprised on how well Ashwin & Pryia are doing but sure are happy that they are.Love to all!!! P&J and M&S xoxoxox

JJA said...

You guys look great! Those must have been some pretty great hugs all around. We miss you.

jm, jac and aidan

kids in chennai said...

thanks to everyone for your response - we're glad to hear from all of you. We miss you all too, but are glad to be keeping in touch, and hope that you enjoy our updates. If you have any suggestions for the blog, or subjects you would like to hear about, please let us know!
cheers
leann and prabhu

kids in chennai said...

ps - i forgot to add a great big thank you to JeanMarie for your help with those 135# of luggage, I dont know how I would have managed without your help (and Aiden, thanks for keeping my company on the ride to the airport. A&P are looking forward to returning to May St. and reconstructing your fort!)
cheers

Pamela Lowry Valerio said...

These pictures bring a tear to my eye!! I'm so happy you all are together again!! Sending many hugs from NYC :)